Tesco Bank advises drivers to check before they drive abroad
22 July 2012
Tesco Bank is warning drivers to check the small print of their car insurance policy before they go abroad this summer to make sure they are fully covered when driving on the continent. Unlike many policies, Tesco Car Insurance provides up to 90 days EU fully comprehensive extension cover as standard*.
As well as including up to 30% discount for new customers with a Tesco Clubcard, and Clubcard discounts for existing customers, the automatic EU extension makes Tesco Car Insurance a hassle-free option for people planning to drive abroad. The three month extension also provides greater flexibility for customers who are going abroad several times or for an extended period of time.
What’s more, linking Tesco Bank’s Euro-plus cover to your car insurance provides you with all the breakdown cover you need in the UK and while in Europe.
In addition to checking your insurance cover, Tesco Bank also offers drivers the following top tips for the road:
- Take a warning triangle sticker with you so you’re prepared for any incidents. The sticker is obligatory in certain European countries.
- If you’re travelling in France, make sure you have a breathalyser on you at all times. Due to new laws introduced on 1st July this year, it’s now compulsory for people driving in France to carry one with them. But don’t worry – single-use breathalysers come in at approximately one Euro.
- In many EU countries - including France, Italy and Austria - it’s now compulsory for drivers to carry a high-visibility jacket with them, so keep one in the boot just in case.
- Be careful where you park, especially in Greece where traffic wardens have the right to confiscate your number plates until you pay the fine owed.
- For drivers who wear glasses, make sure you carry an extra pair with you if you’re driving in Spain – it’s the law!
Julie Hopes, Managing Director, Insurance at Tesco Bank, comments,
“We understand the need to keep unwanted costs to a minimum for families travelling abroad this summer. As more and more people are opting for car travel to reach their destination, we are aiming to enhance their holiday experience and offer products that will make our customers’ lives easier.”
For more information about Tesco Car Insurance visit www.tescobank.com.
For more information and media enquiries please contact:
Tesco Bank press office
+44 (0) 131 274 3630
Notes to Editors:
*Only drivers named permanently on the Motor certificate are covered abroad.
Tesco Car Insurance is is arranged and administered by Tesco Bank and is underwritten by a select range of insurers.
Tesco Breakdown Cover is provided by RAC Motoring Services and/or RAC Insurance Ltd.
Tesco Bank’s goal is to make banking and insurance easier and better value for people who shop at Tesco. We’ve been around since 1997 and today we help more than 5 million customers manage their money every day. Our 4,000 colleagues serve our customers seven days a week from our three main centres in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle, and we are also available through online and mobile banking 24/7. Tesco Bank participates in the Chartered Banker Professional Standards Board.
Tesco Bank is a trading name of Tesco Personal Finance plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC173199. Registered Office: 2 South Gyle Crescent, Edinburgh, EH12 9FQ