Biggest ever Tesco Bank Summer Reading Challenge Scotland Launched
15 June 2015
Today (Monday 15th June) award-winning children’s author Catherine Rayner was in Edinburgh, as she supported the biggest ever Tesco Bank Summer Reading Challenge Scotland launch.
Edinburgh’s beautiful Morningside Library played host to the event. Broadcast LIVE on YouTube and www.recordbreakers.org.uk , thousands of children from all over Scotland were involved in the launch as it was streamed directly to libraries across the country for free.
Celebrated Scottish author and illustrator Catherine Rayner, author of Peters Book of the Year, Smelly Louie, led the launch with a storytelling and interactive draw-a-long session featuring one of Catherine’s best-known characters, for children aged 5 to 7.
Run by national charity The Reading Agency in partnership with Scotland’s libraries and Tesco Bank, the Tesco Bank Summer Reading Challenge Scotland involves children reading six books during the summer holidays, a time when a child’s literacy skills traditionally dip.
Each year the Reading Agency and libraries work together to create a new theme for the Tesco Bank Summer Reading Challenge Scotland, and this year’s edition “Record Breakers” is sure to inspire children to rise to the challenge this summer!
Record Breakers will bring together the worlds of fact and fiction, challenging young readers to explore some of the astonishing real-life achievements and world records featured in the Guinness World RecordsTM books as part of their Summer Reading Challenge 2015.
Collecting stickers as they go, young readers will discover wonderful and wacky records from around the world in six different categories: Cool Tech, Way to Go!, The Big Stuff, Animal Magic, People Power, and Action! Adventure!
Tesco Bank has a long term partnership with Scotland’s libraries and The Reading Agency with the programme encouraging over 40,000 children each year to take part.
Adele Mills, Senior Community Investment Manager at Tesco Bank comments:
“Reading is a fundamental life skill so we’re delighted that Catherine lead our first live broadcast launch encouraging children across Scotland to get involved via their libraries. Increasing access is key to the programme and this was be the first time we’ve had the opportunity to reach out to every library in the country for one single event. Catherine made it extremely entertaining and engaging for our young viewers!”
Yvonne Manning, Head of Youth Libraries said,
“This is a really powerful way to promote widely the Tesco Bank Summer Reading Challenge Scotland. Reading for enjoyment impacts on children’s attainment in literacy, and I am sure the live broadcast will have inspired even more children to participate in this fantastic initiative and have children rushing to their local libraries and reading. Catherine Rayner’s enthusiasm and warmth captivated her young audience.”
Author Catherine Rayner comments,
“I hope today’s fun launch will inspire children, not only to read more books this summer, but will encourage them to enjoy them in new ways in which add to the pleasure of reading. Instilling a love of books at an early age, ensures that young people will always have a joyful resource to draw on. Books feed the imagination and soul, transporting us to other worlds through delicious words and pictures. I feel it’s important to cultivate reading over the summer to emphasise that books are not only for ‘school’learning - they are also for pure delight!”
Sue Wilkinson, CEO of The Reading Agency adds,
“It is wonderful to be launching the 2015 Tesco Bank Summer Reading Challenge Scotland, which is developed and delivered in partnership with librarians across the country. At The Reading Agency we believe that everything changes when we read and we know from our research how much fun families and children have when taking part in the Summer Reading Challenge. This year, with the Record Breakers theme, the Challenge is all about achieving your personal best, so we hope more children than ever will take part in Scotland and make the most out of their library during the summer holidays and beyond.”
For more information and media enquiries please contact:
Tesco Bank press office
+44 (0) 131 274 3630
Notes to Editors
The Reading Agency
The Reading Agency is a leading independent charity whose pioneering work brings the joy of reading to the widest possible audiences across the UK, in partnership with the public library service.
The charity’s mission is to create and deliver innovative reading opportunities that inspire more people to read more, encourage them to share their enjoyment of reading with others and celebrate the difference that reading makes to all our lives.
- The Reading Agency is funded by the Arts Council. www.readingagency.org.uk
- The Tesco Bank Summer Reading Challenge Scotland is part of the Summer Reading Challenge, the largest reading for pleasure programme in the UK. For more information on the Summer Reading Challenge including how to get involved, and resources for schools, go to www.readingagency.org.uk/summerreadingchallenge
- Follow the Summer Reading Challenge on Facebookwww.facebook.com/SummerReadingChallengeUK
- Visit the website and try the new-look Book Sorter which helps children choose what to read next: www.recordbreakers.org.uk
- This year’s Challenge has an element of “digital magic” to it provided by SOLUS UK Ltd. Families, libraries and schools can download a free mobile App onto their devices which will recognise this year’s characters which will trigger audio visual content. sol.us/records
- SOLUS is a Reading Agency sponsor and a digital company which provides broadcast and interactive screen technology to a variety of audiences, including library services, to develop pioneering interactive content for users. www.solus.co.uk
Guinness World Records
GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS (GWR) is the universally recognised global authority on record-breaking achievement.
First published in 1955, over 132 million copies – and 3 million e-books - have been sold in 20 languages, in more than 100 countries. Since then, the internationally renowned brand is also available across a number of platforms:
- GWR global television shows are watched by over 750 million viewers annually, overhalf a million subscribe to the GWR YouTube channel, the global website receives 14 million viewers annually and has over 7 million fans on Facebook.
- GWR is also a valuable IP with 97% recognition in the UK/US and provides record verification and licensing services.
- In 2013, OFFICIALLY AMAZING became the registered trademark of GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS limited.
- In 2015, GWR celebrates the 60th anniversary of its first published edition and the creation of one of the world’s most successful and recognized brands.
Tesco Bank’s goal is to make banking and insurance easier and better value for people who shop at Tesco. We’ve been around since 1997 and today we help more than 5 million customers manage their money every day. Our 4,000 colleagues serve our customers seven days a week from our three main centres in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle, and we are also available through online and mobile banking 24/7. Tesco Bank participates in the Chartered Banker Professional Standards Board.
Tesco Bank is a trading name of Tesco Personal Finance plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC173199. Registered Office: 2 South Gyle Crescent, Edinburgh, EH12 9FQ