Tesco Clubcard Plus subscribers now have exclusive access to apply for a credit card from Tesco Bank
27 January 2020
Tesco Clubcard Plus, the loyalty subscription service that’s a first for a UK supermarket, offers even more value to Tesco shoppers as subscribers can now apply for a new Clubcard Plus Credit Card from Tesco Bank with features that include no foreign exchange fees and 0% interest on purchases for up to 18 months.
Clubcard Plus is a new monthly subscription, giving Tesco customers great benefits across the Tesco Group for only £7.99 a month. Subscribers currently get 10% off 2 big shops in-store every month and 10% off selected Tesco brands every time they shop in-store. Pay monthly Tesco Mobile customers can get double data.
The main benefits of the Clubcard Plus Credit Card are:
- No Foreign Exchange fees, wherever you spend
- 0% interest on purchases up to 18 months from account opening
- Collecting Tesco Clubcard points almost everywhere you use your card, on top of your usual Clubcard points in Tesco
- No Over Limit, Late Payment or Returned Item fees
According to government statistics, a couple spend on average £1266 abroad with a credit card, which amounts to nearly £35 on Foreign Exchange fees every holiday (based on using a credit card with a 2.75% foreign exchange fee). With a Tesco Bank Clubcard Plus Credit Card, there are no foreign exchange fees, leaving shoppers with more money to spend on the things they enjoy when they are abroad.
Commenting on the launch Tesco Bank Chief Executive Gerry Mallon said:
“When Clubcard Plus launched last year it gave customers more ways to get the best value while shopping at Tesco. The addition of the Clubcard Plus Credit Card from Tesco Bank gives shoppers even more freedom and flexibility. It could also give customers an additional “little help” by putting more pounds in their pockets.
“Having no foreign exchange fees will save customers money when they’re abroad so that holiday money can be used to buy the things they enjoy, while having no interest to pay on purchases for up to 18 months can really help spread the cost of those bigger buys.”
Since launching in November 2019, Tesco Clubcard Plus has proved popular as Tesco shoppers take advantage of benefits and savings across the Tesco family including groceries, F&F, Tesco Mobile, baby essentials, homeware and toys. With Tesco Bank’s Credit Card now also part of the offering, 19 million Clubcard customers could save over £400 a year. In summary, the benefits of Clubcard Plus are:
- 10% off two big shops in-store with no minimum spend, every month (exclusions and limits apply)
- 10% off selected Tesco brands in-store all the time including F&F, Fred & Flo, Go Cook, Fox & Ivy, Tesco Pet and Carousel
- Double data on a pay monthly contract every month for new and existing Tesco Mobile customers (conditions apply)
- Exclusive access to apply for a Tesco Bank credit card with no foreign exchange fees. (UK residents, 18 and over only, subject to status, interest and other fees apply).
All of the Clubcard Plus benefits are easy to access in the Clubcard app, saving you time and effort as well as money.
The Clubcard Plus service is available to subscribe to now for only £7.99/month and can be used in all UK Tesco stores. To subscribe to Clubcard Plus, customers can visit www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubcard-plus. It takes just two minutes to join and customers can cancel any time.
For further information about the Tesco Bank Clubcard Plus Credit Card please contact the Tesco Bank press office on 0131 274 3630.
For more information on Clubcard Plus, please contact the Tesco team at Splendid Communications on 0207 553 7300 or TescoProduct@splendidcomms.com or the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701.
Note to editors
It's important to remember that although we won’t be applying fees for paying late, missing payments and spending over your credit limit, this could affect your credit rating and your ability to get credit in the future.
The easiest way for customers to access the Clubcard Plus benefits is through the quick and easy to use Tesco Clubcard app, saving customers time and effort as well as money when they shop in-store.
All of this is on top of the fantastic benefits of Clubcard that are free to all customers. Shoppers will still be able to get one point for every pound they spend and can continue to redeem them for money-off vouchers to spend either on their groceries or with Tesco’s 150 Clubcard partners.
Both existing and new Clubcard Plus subscribers can apply for a Tesco Bank Clubcard Plus Credit Card (UK residents, 18 and over only. Subject to status).
Clubcard Plus can be used in all UK Tesco stores.
Subscribe online at Tesco.com/Clubcard/Clubcard-Plus and download the app here.
Tesco Clubcard Plus stats
- If a couple spend £12661 with a credit card with a 2.75% foreign exchange fee, that’s nearly £35 on foreign exchange fees every holiday. If they have a Clubcard Plus Credit Card from Tesco Bank, there are no Foreign Exchange fees
- A family with two young children spend on average £120 on nappies a month2 so can save £12 a month with 10% off Fred & Flo nappies
- A family of four with two school aged children spend on average £2003 a year on school uniform so can save £20 a year with 10% off F&F
- Pet owners spend on average £250 a year4 on dog food and treats so can save £25 a year as they get 10% off Tesco Pet.
- Based on average spend by UK residents of £633 abroad per individual in 2018. ONS: Travel Trends, 2018
- Global Data UK, Back to School in the UK, 2019
Tesco Bank note to editors
Tesco Bank is a trading name of Tesco Personal Finance plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC173199. Registered Office: 2 South Gyle Crescent, Edinburgh, EH12 9FQ.
Tesco Stores Limited (a credit broker, not a lender) introduces customers only to Tesco Personal Finance plc (Trading as Tesco Bank). Tesco Bank is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Representative example: 37.7%APR representative (variable), based on a credit limit of £1,200 and purchases interest rate of 19.9% p.a. (variable) and monthly Clubcard Plus subscription fee of £7.99.
We may offer you a 0% interest period of 15 or 12 months instead depending on your individual circumstances. Your credit limit and APR may also vary subject to your individual circumstances. Both new and existing Tesco Bank customers can apply. Tesco Bank, PO BOX 344, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE12 2GF. Balance Transfers, Money Transfers, Cash Transactions and Cash Withdrawals will still incur fees
Tesco Mobile note to editors
Tesco Mobile is a 50:50 joint venture between Tesco and O2. The company sells Tesco Mobile branded services exclusively online and in Tesco stores across the UK. Tesco Mobile has 5 million customers and over 500 phone shops.